Make Changes to Your Record

When you need to update your record or card

Changing your name or updating an incorrect birthdate, your sex identification, or your citizenship or legal status is always free. To make changes, you’ll need submit an application.

Answer a few questions to see if you can complete the request online, or if you need to finish part or all of your request in person. Either way, you’ll receive your Social Security card in the mail within 14 days after your application is completed.

Request an update to your record or replacement card

Click the Start below and we’ll tell you the best way to apply and documents you will need.


Tips for a successful application

All documents submitted must be either originals or certified copies by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

Please do not mail original primary documents that should be kept secure in your possession, such as driver’s licenses, passports, or immigration documents. Please call or visit your local Social Security office if you have questions.

Social Security Number Services are Always Free

Some businesses offer Social Security name changes or cards for a fee. Social Security provides those services and more for free. Social Security is the best place to get information about Social Security.

Assisting someone else

If you are filing an application on behalf of someone else, you also must show us evidence of your relationship to, or responsibility for, that person. You must also show us proof of your identity.