If You Are Blind Or Visually Impaired
You may be entitled to receive Social Security Disability Insurance Benefits (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI). To learn if you or someone you know may be eligible for these programs, visit our Disability Benefits or SSI Benefits pages.
Your Choices For Receiving Information From Social Security
At times, Social Security needs to contact you with important information. There are several ways to receive information from us if you are blind or have a visual impairment and
- you have applied for or receive SSDI or SSI benefits; or
- you are the representative payee for someone who has applied for or receives SSDI or SSI benefits.
You can choose to receive notices from us in one of the following ways. Just let us know which you prefer. Your choices for receiving notices are:
- Standard print notice by first-class mail;
- Standard print notice by certified mail;
- Standard print notice by first-class mail and a follow-up telephone call;
- Braille notice and a standard print notice by first-class mail;
- Microsoft Word file on a data compact disc (CD) and a standard print notice by first-class mail;
- Audio CD and a standard print notice by first-class mail; or
- Large print (18-point size) notice and a standard print notice by first-class mail.
To select or change the way you wish to receive information from Social Security, go to our secure Internet application, my Social Security or contact us.
Opting Out of Paper Notices via my Social Security Account
You may opt in or out of receiving paper notices at any time through your personal my Social Security account by taking the following steps:
- Select “Preferences” from the top “Menu”.
- Select “Edit” for “Communication Preferences.”
- Choose either option, “Do not send a paper copy” or “Send a paper and online copy” on the “Update Your Preferences” page.
By opting out of paper notices:
- You will no longer receive physical paper notices or notices in your Special Notice Option format for any notices that are available online; and
- You will receive physical paper notices and notices in your Special Notice Option format for notices that are not available online.
If you have any questions or need assistance with changing your Special Notice Option format, please contact us.
If you already have requested notices in one of the seven formats, but need us to provide a particular Social Security document in your preferred format, please contact us.