Before you call:
Did you know we’ve answered more than 200 of your most frequently asked questions (FAQs)? Check out the online FAQs for quick and convenient answers.
If you cannot use our online services, we can help you by phone when you call your local Social Security office or our toll-free National 800 Number.
You can find the phone number for your local office by using our Office Locator.
You can call our National 800 Number at 1-800-772-1213 between 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Wait times to speak to a representative are typically shorter early in the day (between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. local time) or later in the afternoon (between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. local time). We are also less busy later in the week (Wednesday to Friday) and later in the month. We also offer many automated telephone services, available 24 hours a day, so you do not need to speak with a representative.
Please note that we are upgrading our National 800 Number system. During this transition, you may experience longer wait times. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience and we appreciate your patience while we work towards a new, more modern phone service.
If you’re deaf or hard of hearing and use TTY equipment, you can call our TTY number at 1-800-325-0778.
Using Our Automated Telephone Services
Services for all beneficiaries
- Request a benefit verification letter
- Ask for a form SSA-1099, Social Security Benefit Statement, to request a replacement tax summary
Services for Medicare beneficiaries only
- Request a replacement Medicare Card
- Request a form SSA-1020 to apply for help with Medicare prescription drug costs
Services for people who have applied for benefits
- Ask to receive a claim status
Services everyone can use
- Find the address of your local Social Security office
- Request a form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card, to:
- apply for an original Social Security card or a replacement card if yours was lost or stolen,
- request a name change on your card, or
- update or correct other information on your Social Security number record.
You can listen to informational messages on the following subjects:
- Payment delivery dates
- Direct deposit
- Best times to call our 800 number
- Social Security Internet address and services
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Cost-of-living adjustment
- Non-receipt of your Social Security benefit
- Representative payee
- Become a representative payee
Services for Social Security Benefits Only
- Change address and/or phone number